As a remote team, emojis are an essential part of our day-to-day communication and culture at Todoist. While we might be able to live without them, it’s safe to say our “workplace” wouldn’t be nearly as effective – or fun ;) – without them. That’s why we couldn’t be more excited :lol: to announce today that all of our apps across 15+ platforms now fully support the use of emojis in project names, notes, labels and tasks!
In honor of this momentous occasion, we thought we’d share a few fun facts from this excellent post our friends at Buffer put together about why emojis are pretty much the best thing that has ever happened to digital communication:
- They actually make a pretty effective substitute for a real human face. Scientists have discovered that the same parts of the brain are activated when we see a smiley emoji as when we look at an actual human face.
- They make you more popular. An analysis of more than 31 million tweets and half a million Facebook posts found that positive emoticons correlate with greater social clout.
- They make you seem smarter. In a study that had participants chat online with “health experts” and “film experts”, participants rated the experts in both topics as being friendlier and more competent when they used emoticons.
- They make you a more effective manager. Studies show that when managers use positive emoticons when giving negative feedback, employees are more likely to feel good about the message and are more likely to make changes in their behavior as a result.
- They make you happier. A 2008 study found that emoticon users experience a “positive effect on enjoyment, personal interaction, perceived information richness, and perceived usefulness.
And now you can use them to make your team collaboration with Todoist even better! Here are a few of our team’s favorites to get you started:
Love ♥ emojis ♥ as much as we do? Share your best Todoist emoji screenshots with us on Twitter or in the comments!